The British Railway Clock Specialist
12-inch oak cased iron dial clock with drop to the case and a cast brass bezel manufactured for the South Eastern Railway circa 1895 by Grimshaw & Baxter of Clerkenwell. The quality chain driven English fusee movement of typical London style has rectangular plates which are held together by turned tapered shouldered pillars, the back plate is stamped with the SER cartouche and G&B and the front plate has 895 scratched in it. A white enamel hand painted dial displaying bold Roman numerals and the legend, B.R.(S). John Walker 1, South Molton St London 895.S.E. the rear of the dial is also stamped 895 in the top. A traditional English drop dial clock case manufactured from oak with a one piece turned convex surround affixed to the back box by two battens with four tapered pegs, the back box is of traditional mid to late 19th century design with one side access door and a bottom door secured with a brass turn, the rear of the case has been stamped 895 SE and branded SER, the side door retains its original SER brass numberplate 895. The Southern clock records show that this clock was last in use at Dumpton Park signal box and previously at Margate parcels office.