The British Railway Clock Specialist
14-inch Mahogany cased iron dial clock with drop to the case and a cast brass bezel supplied to the London and South Western Railway circa 1870 by John Gaydon of Barnstaple. The quality English chain driven fusee movement of typical London style has large rectangular plates which are held together by turned tapered shouldered pillars. An enamel painted iron dial with Roman numerals and bearing the legend, B.R.(S) John Walker 1 South Molton ST London 36 SW. A traditional English drop dial clock case manufactured from mahogany with a four piece turned concave and convex surround affixed to the back box by two battens with four tapered pegs, the back box is of traditional mid 19th century design with two side access door’s and a bottom door secured with a brass lock, the drop of the case features fine figured flame mahogany. The Southern clock records show that this clock was last in use at Hayes station platform and must have moved to the South East soon after the grouping. Looking at the Gaydon supplied clocks it can be surmised that this clock would have originally been used at Barnstaple Town station as clock number 37SW was at Wrafton, 38SW at Braunton and 39SW at Mortehoe. A rare LSWR clock.